Robert L Clore Post 189


American Legion

Robert L. Clore

Post 189




               Missouri American Legion Post 189 is named after Robert L . Clore.  

Robert was born on July 16, 1894, in Lees Summit, Missouri. He was the middle child, with older and younger sisters, and grew up on the family farm until he was enrolled in the Wentworth Military Academy in Lexington, Missouri. He graduated from the academy with the Class of 1915 and enlisted in the Marines on April 20, 1917

 He had trained at Port Royal, South Carolina, and was at Quantico, Virginia, when sent to support the French Army with the U.S. Army’s 2nd Division, 4th Marine Brigade.

The academy has erected a memorial in his honor.

                Cpl. Robert L. Clore was killed in action at age 23, on June 6, 1918, the first day of the Battle of Belleau Wood, Chateau Thierry, France.

       The Battle of Château-Thierry was fought on July 18, 1918 and was one of the first actions of the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) under General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing. General Pershing called it the most important battle fought by U.S. forces since the Civil War. It was part of the Allied drive in response to the German Spring Offensive in 1918, with the objective of saving Paris from the advancing Germans. It was a battle in World War I as part of the Second Battle of the Marne, initially prompted by a German offensive launched on 15 July against the AEF, the newest troops on the front.

      On the morning of 18 July 1918, the French (some of them colonial) and American forces between Fontenoy and Château-Thierry launched a counter-assault under the overall direction of Allied généralissime Ferdinand Foch against the German positions. This assault on a 40 km (25 mi) wide front was the first for over a year. The American army played a role fighting for the regions around Soissons and Château-Thierry, in collaboration with predominantly French forces. The allied forces had managed to keep their plans a secret, and their attack at 04:45 took the Germans by surprise when the troops went "Over the Top" without a preparatory artillery bombardment, but instead followed closely behind a rolling barrage which began with great synchronized precision. Eventually, the two opposing assaults (lines) inter-penetrated and individual American units exercised initiative and continued fighting despite being nominally behind enemy lines.

      The 3rd Division occupied the main bridge on the south bank of the Marne that led in Chateau Thierry on May 31 as the French 10th Colonial Division rendezvoused with them from the north bank. The Americans positioned their machine guns to cover the French retreat, and had unit led by Lt John Bissell situated north of the second bridge. The French spent the night adding explosives to the bridges to destroy them. The following early morning, on June 1, the Germans advance into Chateau Thierry from its north, forcing the French to the main bridge, which they defended with the support of American machine-gun fire. The French succeeded in destroying the bridge as the Americans kept up their fire on the Germans. Lt Bissell's group was still on the north side of the Marne. They worked their way back to the secondary bridge in-between American machine-gun fire and made it across, along with a group of Germans that was captured shortly afterwards. From the north of the Marne on June 2, the Germans engaged in heavy artillery and sniper fire against the Allies. They made an attempt to take the remaining bridge but were forced to end the assault as the casualties rose.


                Our Post’s charter date is November 8th 1919.  The First Commander was Dr C. E. Cline.